There have been many times in my life when I was pursuing a goal (especially a financial one), and I found myself wondering what was motivating me.
The truth is it’s easy to lose focus and inspiration when you don’t have a clear “why” attached to your goals. My coach used to say, “The stronger the why, the easier the how.”
As an entrepreneur, it’s so easy to get caught up in other people’s goals and success stories and lose sight of your own vision. Or, you may start borrowing goals that you think you “should” be setting for yourself.
When it comes to your financial goals, nothing is more important than getting clear on your core values. So many times I see women choose random income goals that don’t take their values into account.
Your values also matter when creating your budget and determining if your spending is in alignment with your true desires.
Knowing what’s important to you makes purchasing decisions really easy. While one of your friends may value a certain brand or experience, it may not align with you values and big dreams, and then it becomes easy to say, “No” and spend your money on what matters most to you.
To help you get clear on your values so they’re at the heart of your financial goals, here are some questions for you to explore:
- How much money will it take for you to feel “financially free?”
- Why is money important to you? How does it enhance your life? What does it provide for you?
- What are your financial goals?
- How much money will it cost to fund your goals and deepest desires? Is this just a number that sounds good or an actual figure?
- How important is money to you? Are you willing to do “whatever it takes” to make it?
- What are the benefits of your current financial situation?
- What is your main reason for working on your finances?
- What is your “Why?” Be specific.
Identifying and owning your values will help you set financial goals that you’re connected to and committed to making happen – especially when setbacks and challenges occur.
Knowing why money is important to you impacts every aspect of your finances and makes getting exactly what you want easier than you ever imagined!
What is your big “why?” Leave a comment, and let me know. I can’t wait to hear!